We support LGBT+ groups within Green Parties around the world to work together and support each other, we support Green Parties looking to set-up LGBT+ groups, and we promote LGBT+ equality as outlined in the Global Greens Charter.
We believe that LGBT+ Green activists and organisations need to:
- work together through dialogue and discussion crossing national borders to promote the implementation and realisation of the Global Greens Charter as it relates to LGBT+ rights in parliaments and in international forums;
- share information about policy successes and best practice; and
- support and build capacity of LGBT+ Green parliamentary candidates.
What we want
- We demand decriminalisation of consensual same-sex sexual relations, legal recognition of transgender people and people of marginalised genders, protection of the right to bodily autonomy including for intersex people, and equal rights for same-sex relationships.
- We uphold the principle that everyone has the right to love and found families. We support local communities in their call for marriage equality or any other form of families or cohabitation they see fit for their context.
- Through our member organisations, we will advocate for governments to cease any punishment, violence and cruel treatment towards LGBT+ people and to implement the Yogyakarta principles on the Application of International Human Rights Law in relation to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity.
- We ask that all governments in the world abolish laws that view LGBTIQ+ sexual orientation and behavior as illegal. LGBTIQ+ communities should not be legally deprived of their rights to property, personal liberty, and life because of their sexual orientation and behavior.
- We oppose any government that bans, hinders, or oppresses LGBTIQ+ information, speech, work, and other initiatives, and commits discrimination.
- We demand that “LGBTIQ+ Mainstreaming” be instituted at every level of government.
- All government agencies must, when formulating, implementing and evaluating all types of policies and services, take into consideration the situation, needs, and impact on the LGBTIQ+ community. They should especially pay attention to whether resources are adequate and address intersectional discrimination. To maximize effectiveness, LGBTIQ+ Mainstreaming should be planned and coordinated by a designated agency at an appropriately high level.
Text taken from the ‘Advancing LGBT+ Rights‘ Resolution Adopted at the 4th Global Greens Congress, Liverpool 2017.